- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 sticks celery, sliced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large packet (100g) tomato paste
- 5-6 cups (1.25-1.5L) vegetable or beef stock
- 1 can (400g) chopped and peeled tomatoes
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 cup (150g) pasta (like alphabet pasta or macaroni)
- 1 packet (300g) green beans, sliced into 2cm pieces
- 6 baby marrows, roughly sliced
- ½ packet (150g) Swiss chard or kale, shredded
- 1 can (400g) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Grated parmesan, for serving
- Buttered sourdough bread or crusty rolls, for serving
- Heat oil in a pot and brown onions, celery and carrots.
- Add garlic and thyme and fry for a minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook until sticky.
- Pour in stock and tomatoes.
- Season and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add pasta, green beans and marrows, and cook for 8 minutes.
- Stir in Swiss chard or kale and cannellini beans and heat through. Season
- Serve soup topped with parmesan and with sourdough bread or rolls on the side.
recipe source: https://www.pnp.co.za/